My Rooster layed an egg

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Noobiechickluv, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    One of our Buffs was bigger than the others and had a much bigger crest. We were sure she was a boy, but she laid an egg. Her name is Pat.
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, Pat is a hen. She doesn't have saddle feathers or any other rooster characteristics, it's just that her comb is big. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Crazy because we got 10 chicks in the spring and 9 of them were girls. What are the odds?

4. aliciasimon

aliciasimon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    LOL! Well *she* is gorgeous. Where did you get the chicks? I bought mine at a feed store and was told they were all females. I bought 6. Then later read there is a 5% fail rate in sexing, so wondered if I might end up with a rooster. They're all girls though (which is perfect because I can't have a rooster where I live).

5. Veer67

If they were ordered as straight run then there's a 50/50 chance of getting a rooster or pullet. If you ordered them as pullets, most hatcheries or feed stores claim that they have 90-98% accurate sexing.

6. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    No, I got them from a random guy on Craig's list. His name was John Deere...really! We just got lucky. On top of that, we traded the one rooster for 2 Americana hens (Thelma & Louise). So far, we are doing really well with this chicken thing!

7. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yep, that Pat is a fluffy hen! She has a big comb because she was at the point of lay. Congrats! [​IMG]

8. Noobiechickluv

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Thanks! What does "point of lay" mean? So much to learn about these chicks.....[​IMG]

9. Veer67

It means that your hens have already started or should start laying eggs soon. :)

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Point of Lay = pullet puberty. She's ready to lay eggs!

She's a lovely, large-boned pullet! Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by