My rooster likes the other rooster.. TOO much ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdm1277, Aug 23, 2010.

1. sdm1277

sdm1277 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    POLAND MAINE
    or not at all...[​IMG]
    my husband and i almost died laughing when i saw 2 of my roosters chase my buff oprpinton rooster and tag teamed him... ummmmm is this normal?? i have never seen roosters hump but they continued to do it more than once..
    i went over to "Al" my buff orpington. he was in the wood pile hiding.. so i picked him up and stomped the others away... (my husband wanted to give him a cigarette [​IMG] )

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Your roosters were exerting dominance over your BO. It's all about pecking order. My BA hen mounts her subordinate EE hen all the time.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

... not too many wanting to touch this one.

I'm thinking dominance also... but mine only chest bump, kick & flap & somebody RUNS.

Are there hens available or is this like rooster prison?!?

(I'm really not trying to be funny here, but [​IMG])

4. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    My alpha hen has been known to mount my rooster, as well as other hens. Who's yo daddy? She's the top dog for sure.

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's dominance. He's showing the other rooster he's boss!

7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I think you might've gotten lucky, well Al seems to have at least. To get jumped by two roosters and get away without a good kicking, he's been a lucky boy.

He might not be thinking that right at the moment of course but had he had the poop beaten out of him rather than...err... pushed in as it were, your post wouldn't have been so cheery and I doubt Al would have been either.

Maybe they'll all get along with poor Al being 'reminded' of his position in a non-fighting way every now and then. I'd keep a close eye on them though if they decide he's not their type two of them will quickly do a lot of damage (and not to his butt).

8. Armageddon

Armageddon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Southern California
    Are there hens available or is this like rooster prison?!?

(I'm really not trying to be funny here, but [​IMG])

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

Yep, almost certainly dominance, buuut.....there ARE some penguins that refuse to sit on eggs with ANYONE other than another male....that's even more common in mallard ducks: the pair of males will actually steal a hen's nestfull, then sit on it together, and apparently make better parents than a male and female, due to the fact that they're able to protect the ducklings better.

I have several roosters living in a 'bachelor group' away from hens, but they NEVER do that as far as I've seen.....it does happen occasionally though with the other roosters/hens.

So yeah, dominance, but it you ever find your two roosters sitting on a nest together...well...[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  10. sdm1277

sdm1277 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2010
    POLAND MAINE
    there are plenty of hens to my roosters.. not a rooster prison [​IMG]

well Al did get his butt kicked when he first got here.. he is a big baby and follows me around... [​IMG]

i figured iet may be a dominance issue but i was making sure....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by