My Rooster looks sick, and hen is acting strange...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarlitosRussito, Jan 9, 2015.

1. CarlitosRussito

CarlitosRussito Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi, the reason I made this post is because I'm very concerned with my rooster Russo. It all started 2 days ago when I came from school, someone or something (or maybe himself) opened the entrance and this allowed him to get out. When I approached him he began acting strange, like he had a bad time charging at me and kept his neck low. So I took him inside and checked his neck and I found a dried bloody wound on his neck, so to prevent any more infection, I applied some gentian violet to his neck to help him recover. Today, I came to check on him outside and he had some white stuff on his beak and some of it was dried, could this be vomit? and now I decided to keep him in my garage since it is very cold outside ( I live in the Texas coast).

As for my hen, she is acting as though she were incubating some eggs, the only problem with this is that she doesn't have eggs underneath herself. I don't know what's going on and if anyone does, I would appreciate an answer.

But back to my rooster, is his problems something I should look into and are they serious?

2. debster1556

debster1556 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Just a guess on the hen that maybe she is broody?? They will sit in the nest box quite a bit with no eggs underneath.

As for the rooster, it sounds like he got attacked by something. Is he eating and drinking ok and good idea bringing him to a warmer place!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures of your rooster may help. Is he still holding his neck low? It does sound as if your hen is broody. They will sit on nothing if they really are broody. You can break her by placing her in a cage with food and water, and very little bedding. A roost is ideal if there is room, and keep her there for 5 days.

4. CarlitosRussito

Aug 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of him, he has been the same ever since...

Can his neck be fixed?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He has wry neck, which can be a sign of a head or neck injury, a vitamin deficiency, or from certain diseases such as Mareks disease and others. I would put him on vitamins in his water, and give him some egg each day. Does he have problems eating? Here is a link on wry neck, and one showing how to help them eat:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

How did you hen get along? Was she broody?

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Your hen is probably broody even without eggs.

I'm sorry about your rooster. How awful. He may have had an injury like an animal bite.

I wonder about wry neck. Can chickens get it as adults? I don't know that much about it.

7. CarlitosRussito

Aug 13, 2014
    Sorry for replying way too late, i couldn't check in for sometime. Russo now seems fine and Russa never had eggs at the time. However, just a few days ago, she gave birth to 2 small chicks! That day I was planning on removing the eggs as I assumed they were nothing but a waste, as i walked over there, I opened the roof and to my surprise, a chick was standing next to Russa. I checked for more newborns, and discovered that one was missing and that it was gone. My little brother later found it dead, ( I wonder how it got out in the first place, maybe he was rejected or maybe he fell out from the nest.) it was missing its head, a left wing, and it was mostly mauled. my brother was really sad, so we assumed a rat might have done it because when i searched for the chick, i never saw it in the shed. we laid alot of rat traps to get that scum. It may sound harsh, maybe you'll say that one of my dogs did it, but our dog is a gentle giant, and he would never hurt a chick.

anyway, thanks for the help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by