my rooster lost his voice!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, May 24, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    one of my roosters seems to have lost his voice. he was crowing this morning and it was pathetic, he was very hoarse lol. this afternoon when i went out again i saw him keep trying, and hes even more quiet than earlier! him and one of the other roosters crow the most out of all of them. allllll day long they are back and forth. is it possible he actually lost his voice, or is this something i should be concerned about?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You should be concerned. Obviously something is blocking his airway to the point that he can't crow properly.

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    ok, im going to post in emergencies.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The following quote is from the below website- bear in mind it is for all birds not just chickens-

"Voice / Loss of or changes

Most commonly caused by an infection in the trachea. Most often fungal (aspergillus), but could also be bacterial.

In budgies, cockatiels and some other species, goiter (an enlarged thyroid gland) is also known to cause sqeaking or crying sounds in addition to regurgitation and coughing. The enlarged gland compresses the trachea leading to voice changes and respiratory difficulties.

The vet needs to run diagnostic tests, such as cultures and blood work."

from http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdsymptoms.html#voice

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Both of my boys do this from time to time. They have never been ill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by