My rooster made my hen abanden her 5 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buddy18, May 26, 2016.

1. buddy18

buddy18 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    I don't know a lot about chickens since these chickens decided to live in my barn. There is 6 hens and one rooster. I let one of the hens raise 2 chicks, really good mother. The other day the rooster decided to rape her and force her leave her chicks by following her non stop and not let her near the chicks. the babies are 5 weeks old totally confused. I got them to go into the barn where I have my two 7 week babies in a coop. The mama started about a week ago to sleep in the barn with them with her babies. How do I protect them and why did he do it? I don't even want to let my 2 girls out and roam I don't want them raped. Like I said their not tame but they lay eggs for us. Do the hens need him since they now roost here? I would love to get rid of him since he also crows non stop but my husband likes him and I wouldn't be able kill him or even catch him anyways. Why did he do it? She was so upset. Another question, he forces them to also lay go lay eggs and when their done he rapes them. I say rape because they run from him and don't seem to like it, so violent and I wouldn't be able to stand for it to happen to my girls.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seriously, if the rooster mating the hens is bothering you, I think that you should get rid of him.

3. Tchap

Tchap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2015
    Seneca, South Carolina
    I really hope your joking here...

4. buddy18

Mar 18, 2016
    about the rape? I just like calling it that, it bugs my husband.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    This is considered "Rape" in the poultry world.

Get rid of him,and she may just go back to being with the chicks.Are your sure he's "Forcing" them,and not just "Showing" them where to lay their eggs,just so happen after he rapes them?What does he do that makes you think he's forcing them to lay eggs?Do they follow him in the hen house once he goes in there?

Never have I ever heard of a ROOSTER "make" a hen go lay eggs.

And are sure he's making them stay away from her chicks or is he just catching up on mating with her and just so happens she is being ran from the chicks?

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Why? You are witnessing perfectly normal chicken mating behavior. If you have a problem with it do something with the male (cull yourself or rehome), or rehome the whole lot since you did not intend to have chickens.

And, no, he cannot force the hens to go lay eggs anywhere. A rooster has zero effect on when, if, or where a hen will lay. Hens lay when they are good and ready, where they want, and they will not lay so soon after hatching a clutch of eggs.

7. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    Hmmm, all this talk of "rape" in the world of non-humans is rubbish. Humans once were at the chicken-stage...natural selection and survival of the fittest were the norm for continuation of the species. Now we are governed by laws and expected to adhere to societal norms for acceptable behavior.

Please keep in mind that 8,000 years of human interference aside, chickens are still driven by natural selection and survival of the fittest. The animal kingdom does not conform to our strictures of civilized behavior. Chickens have no concept of rape or abandonment or servitude...these are human constructs and the term for attributing human characteristics to non-humans is anthropomorphism.

Have you never watched anything on PBS or Discovery Channel regarding nature? Nature is often brutal in its resolve to continue thriving against all odds. What you classify (jokingly or not though it seems a coarse subject to make light of IMHO) as a "rooster raping a hen" is just one such display of nature doing its thing...continuing the species at all costs. It might not jive with what we humans think is right and proper but chickens thrived long before humans started mucking with the natural order of things. At five weeks old, the "abandoned" chicks know everything they need to thrive in the environment. Most of it they were born with (instinct)...that they had a good mama for 5 weeks is just bonus.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Yeah,chickens are independent and all but still count on "You" to provide them with needs,shelter,water,feed,treats,and protection.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Many people have problems with roosters being aggressive while mating,It doesn't bother me any.

10. buddy18

Mar 18, 2016
    I think your right about him finding nest for them. And yes I also think your right it was time to mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by