My rooster mated my Muscovy duck.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hikerchick, Apr 13, 2009.

1. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Is this normal? I have only one hen. Should I get more so that he will leave the ducks alone? The drake was not happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You may want to change the title of that post.....

I am sure the roo would like more hens than just one.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    When three is not a crowd....

Well, I wanted to call him a Psycho...but OK, he has only one hen. That's not enough, so I'll cut him a break. Separate the ducks or get him a few more hens. Roos can be plenty amorous with up to 8-10 females. [​IMG]

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I once had a rooster that had a thing for plastic milk jugs. Found him dead one day in the middle of a pile of them....

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    At times one of my roosters goes after the duck hens also. It's just hormones. He has a lot of his own hens. The drake comes over and tells him to leave his hens alone.

6. PeepMomma

PeepMomma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Edmonson Co. Kentucky
    They are armorous fellows! My little white leghorn Bantam doesn't even want the much larger Ameraucana Roos to get anywhere near ME! I think the only thing that saves the bigger roos is the fact that he's in a pen and they are not. I am going to have to post a video, it is so funny to watch him take off running toward the fence when he thinks they are getting too close! That's why I named him "little Boss"!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wouldn't worry unless the roo also starts trying to mate cattle or horses. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, he needs more hens. Variety is the spice of life; at least roosters think so.

8. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I have one rooster that will mate anything that he can catch. He likes the mallards quite a lot as well as all the regular hens. If the rabbits stand still long enough, he will even try to convince them of his masculinity.

9. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

I had no idea roosters were like this. [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine chase the ducks, the detergent bottles, rabbits, dust mops, anything that catches their fancy. No matter how many hens are around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by