My Rooster/s are Making "Hen" noises

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
It just started today....the Silky Roo has been crowing for weeks now and the other 1 or 2 Cochins (I cant tell if one is or isnt a roo) have been "trying" to crow....So anyways twice now today I have to go see what 's up with my stealth garage chickens as I have a ruckus going on in there. Saw/ heard both roosters and all 3 hens walking around in a calm manner and making bock bock bock bock Bwark! (egg song???) not laying yet though...maybe next month for the silkies.
so maybe a silly newbie question
lol.png
I thought roosters only crowed
hide.gif

Oh, no! Roosters have a wide range of vocalizations! The "Egg Song" is the same as the "Something IS VERY WRONG!" song, just sung differently, and the roosters will sing it. They often join in the Egg Song Chorus, too, changing the song just slightly enough to be for the Congratulations On Laying The Best Egg Ever song.

Then there's the "Alert!" sound, which makes all the flock members freeze. And the "Danger, HIDE!" sound, which makes everybody scatter for cover.

My roosters also practice the "Ladies, have I got something NICE here for you!" sounds, which are very coaxing and chattery sounding. It brings the girls closer so the rooster can #1 - share treats, #2 - get close enough to jump 'em for some morning/afternoon/evening delight, and #3 - treat a favored hen with something really special. (Not quite the same as #1, and that particular call is just a little bit more romantic.)

While my hens may ask "Bok?" the roosters generally ask "Berk?"

Oh, and then there is the VERY startling rooster growl! The first time I heard it, I could hardly believe that came from a chicken!

Crowing is just the roosters' specialty.

Back
Top Bottom