my rooster seems to be paralyzed and is gasping for air... Need help.

Raquel182

Hatching
Oct 4, 2020
There are no local vets that deal with chickens in my area...
He is not vaccinated against Mareks.
I have a one year old rooster who is really sick. 2 days ago I went out in the morning and he was not moving or coming out of the coop (he was fine the day before), I went to grab him and he was very weak and wobbly like his legs were not working. I separated him and offered him some food, he pecked at it a little but didn't eat a lot.... his eyes look ok but he is constantly breathing through his mouth and gasping for air...
After doing a little research I am hoping its not Marek rather a vitamin deficiency... So I got him some vitamin supplement and I am feeding him with a syringe every few house, I mixed his chicken feed, with some electrolytes, a vitamin B12 pill and water and have been giving him that. Last night he seemed to be a little better but today he seems really weak again.

Its hard to tell with him because he is very dramatic by nature and faints any time he is stressed out, he passes out while I am handling him, so its hard to tell if he is dying or if he is just fainting like he usually does...
Anyway, im really worried about him and im trying to decide if I need to put him down or if there is something I can do for him.

The other thing, not sure if its relevant, but he just got over a bout of coccidiosis and just finished an antibiotic treatment a few days ago... his poop looks normal now ut he is still underweight from that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of him this morning. https://youtu.be/mKthm5exEBA

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures of him from today? Is he moving his wings and legs? What do his droppings look like? Look for any eye or nasal discharge, and look inside his beak for any mucus or yellow plaques/patches. I would concentrate on getting some water into him by offering it up to his beak with a scoop or small cup. Electrolytes would be good or a dose of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench. Adding water to some chicken feed would be good. Note that B12 is not all B vitamins, but just B12. B complex is what you want, and it has B2 riboflavin, niacin and other B vitamins.

Do you have any pictures of him from today? Is he moving his wings and legs? What do his droppings look like? Look for any eye or nasal discharge, and look inside his beak for any mucus or yellow plaques/patches. I would concentrate on getting some water into him by offering it up to his beak with a scoop or small cup. Electrolytes would be good or a dose of Poultry Cell or NutriDrench. Adding water to some chicken feed would be good. Note that B12 is not all B vitamins, but just B12. B complex is what you want, and it has B2 riboflavin, niacin and other B vitamins.
I posted a link to a video of him from this morning in the original post. You can see how much he can move in the video.
when I offer food he does peck at it some times and some times does not... he only drinks water when I put it in his beak with a syringe.
no mucus or discharge anywhere. I am giving him electrolytes already.
Should I get him a vitamin B12 shot? I gave him a vitamin B pill and some vitamin drops that have a little of everything. But I could get him something injectable if that’s better...

Back
Top Bottom