My rooster seems to have a pecked eye.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daisychicken, Oct 1, 2013.

1. daisychicken

daisychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Florida
    I need to find some antibiotic eye drops for my roosters eye he was just standing in his cage so i brought him in the front yard and i was wondering if antibiotifc eye drops for chickens or can be used for chickens is a real thing and where i can get them if they do exsist. His eye he won't open he just stands there and there seems to be liquid coming out of his eye but i think it is tears. He either was pecked or something is in his eye i just need something to help him. Also he is only opening his top part of his beak and seems to have a hard time breathing.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be a respiratory disease that you are noticing symptoms of. Mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, and coryza are some common ones. Neosporin eye ointment can be used in his eye. If his symptoms worsen, I would put him on an antibiotic such as Tylan 50, give him 1 ml daily for 5 days. Other antibiotics would be Gallimycin or oxytetracycline. Here is some info about respiratory diseases which are usually chronic in chickens: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. daisychicken

daisychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Florida
    i think another reason he might not be breathing well is because one of the roosters might have fought with him and tried to suffocate him in the sand. If not it could be one of those diseases also if he does have one of those what are other symptons. Also he is walking around more and is more responsive before when i walked by he didn't move which that usually only happens when they are going to attack us.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by