My rooster starved other chickens (Not a emergency as of the moment)

Suzzers

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2022
(This might be in the wrong section, sorry!)

Sadly I have a rooster that has starved other chickens before. Ever since he was a chick he almost killed one of the hens by bullying her away from the food dish. I fed her myself away from the flock and after that I thought he wouldn't so it again until he started doing it to the other rooster. I didn't know that much about chickens then and only noticed when the other rooster was stumbling around my yard and could barely eat. Sadly I had to put the bird out of his misery. The rooster isn't doing it anymore because he favors the hens he has now but I'm scared if I was to get new chicks to replace some of my older egg layers he would do the same thing, and it's not fair to subject new chicks to that. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? He is also a golden laced wyandotte rooster.

sadly there isn’t much you can do for a rooster that is aggressive towards other roosters/hens. It’s probably his hormones considering that the rooster is young. Once he gets older he’ll mature. If you plan to keep another rooster in the same coop I recommend having 2-4 feeders/waters to make sure there isn’t Competition between food/water,plus make sure there is atleast 1sq.ft per bird so that territory isn’t a problem either. Although if none of these things work simply make another coop if you are planning to have another rooster. (Psa: 1 rooster needs atleast 10 hens)

(This might be in the wrong section, sorry!)

Sadly I have a rooster that has starved other chickens before. Ever since he was a chick he almost killed one of the hens by bullying her away from the food dish. I fed her myself away from the flock and after that I thought he wouldn't so it again until he started doing it to the other rooster. I didn't know that much about chickens then and only noticed when the other rooster was stumbling around my yard and could barely eat. Sadly I had to put the bird out of his misery. The rooster isn't doing it anymore because he favors the hens he has now but I'm scared if I was to get new chicks to replace some of my older egg layers he would do the same thing, and it's not fair to subject new chicks to that. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? He is also a golden laced wyandotte rooster.
That's a sad story.

Add multiple feed stations and make sure there's plenty of room for all.

Photos of your coop/run set up along with dimensions may be helpful in giving more tips.

Back
Top Bottom