1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster stopped crowing . . . why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky Road, May 18, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have two roosters (I am positive they are both roosters) and they are about a year old. I have seen both of them crow before but all the sudden my one rooster stopped crowing (he is below the other rooster on the pecking order, don't know if that makes a difference). is there any reason this should be happening? He is still healthy, active and comes up to me whenevery I have treats for them.

Just wondering if I should be concerned.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you are absolutely sure he is healthy....

My next guess would be some time over the course of the last few days he and your other rooster had a little "discussion". The one that is no longer crowing lost that discussion. He has decided to keep his mouth shut so that there are no more discussions, if you get my drift. [​IMG]

To put it more plainly, it's not unheard of for the less dominant of two roosters to not crow or to crow very little. Depends on how afraid of the alpha rooster he is.

My Thor (at present my dominant rooster) never crowed when he was younger and wasn't the alpha. The instant I re-homed the other rooster Thor started crowing and he didn't stop just because I brought in another (younger) rooster.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I love the use of the word discussion in this post.

4. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Hahah this made me laugh! Thanks! I think they did have some "discussions". I accidently didnt' put quite enough food in for all one morning and when I came home from work and filled the feeder from being empty they all flew on it. . . and then the alpha rooster made sure he got to eat first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by