1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Rooster trying to find a new roosting area

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutiepie960, Dec 10, 2014.

1. cutiepie960

cutiepie960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello ,
    This is Lila Ann & i was concerned about my ROOSTER name HENRY, he always roosted up in our tree & lately the strong winds have damaged his roosting branch & he no longer roost there, & although hes found another spot i don't think he feels comfortable at that spot.. Now hes changed spots again & this is concerning to me.. I love him to death & don't want him to roost elsewhere.. Can someone tell me if he will fly away or will he keep trying to find an area on that tree where he feels comfortable...We had a hen named henryetta & henry came along & they did everything together but after she passed hes been lonely but managed to stay with me & always stayed with me till this day, However i'm so worried that if he doesn't find a comfortable place up our tree he will find someplace else to roost & that would DEVASTATE me if he leaves..I've been feeding him ever since & hes hung around till now..Will he still be around even if he can't find a comfortable roosting area up in the trees.. Thanks so much..Any information would be appreciated.. I fairly new at raising chickens & fell in love with them...

Much Regards,
    Lila Ann Asato

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like he needs to be in a coop at night. Much safer for him. It may sound like a lot of work or nothing you have the experience or money to do, but making a small coop is fairly easy, even for someone who has never touched a hammer before. You can make one out of scrap boards, wire, logs, old sheds, cages, and many other things that will work fine for even temporarily. You should probably get him some girls, even just two. He would be much happier and more inclined to stick around. He could still free range in the day, but a coop is a good idea for at night.

3. cutiepie960

Feb 24, 2014
    Thank u so much free feat8her i will try my hardest to try to keep him here. Although i don't want anymore chickens i know he'll be much happier if i had girls but i can't afford anymoe not to mention any moe hatchlings..Thanks so much for tge advice..Just going to wait & see approach.

Much Regards,
    Lila Ann

4. cutiepie960

Feb 24, 2014
    Hello Everyone,
    This is Cutiepie I love my Roo Henry a lot & since his girl Henryetta passed he still roost up in our tree & he use to fly up but i don't know y he doesn't fly up anymore he prefers now to jump up on our chain link barbed wire like fence & up to the tree i'm assuming its a lot easier that way..Henryetta use to always jump on the fence & roost that way & Henry always flew up but like i said now Henry now prefers to jump up the fence & up to the tree like Henryetta did but my concern is the sharp barbed wire chain link fence that he has to jump up on to get to the tree..So thats y i am asking this question: By jumping up on the fence to get to the tree will this hurt his feet?? Henryetta did it all the time & she tippy toed but she was always fine..Will Henry be ok & will his feet be ok??... Yesterday i put a small red square carpet draped over the area where he jumps from to try to protect his feet but as i was watching him retire for the night not sure if he sensed the red carpet draped over the area where he always jumps from but he took another route & i didn't like the area of the tree he roosted on cuz our neighbors dog was watching him from the corner & Henry got attacked by them but shockingly survived the attack!, God forbid it that was to happen a second time!.. So after he got settled i took the red carpet away...Could it be that he saw the red carpet & didn't like it being there???? I was just trying to help his feet from the sharp chain wire link fence.. Henry too is now tipping toeing like Henryetta did but its not like they've had to walk far on this fence just maybe 1 or 3 steps then Henry flys up to the tree...If anyone can let me know that the sharp chain link wire fence will be ok on Henry's feet that will certainly be helpful & put my mind at ease?? Any info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks so much people!!!

Regards,
    Henry & the late Henryetta!

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Try to encourage him to pick a better roosting spot, or get him to sleep in a building like an old barn or something. Put the food in the building and only feed him there, and perhaps coop train him to stay in there at night. I prefer letting birds roost wherever they want, but it sounds like the spot he picked is not working out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by