My rooster vomits frequently and has watery poo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by valerieg, Oct 23, 2011.

1. valerieg

valerieg New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    Hello Im Val and I'm a newbie here. I have a 3 year old white leghorn rooster. He behaves strangely these past few days. He plays with his water (which he has not been doing before) and food. He puts water on his feeding bowl where he left some feed crumbs. Whenever he eats, he eats hurriedly. Then later on would vomit and then drink lots of water. I also noticed his poo. His poo used to be firm and of pleasant color. Lately it's very soft and watery. I feed him 2x a day -each meal has 3 tablespoon of feeds.

Please send a reply. thank you!

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    [​IMG]

Is the crop hard and/or distended?

What, exactly, do these two meals a day consist of?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Do BYC searches on sour crop and crop obstruction. Lots and lots of excellent advice on this forum!!

Have you always fed him by the tablespoons 2X a day?? Or just now that he is sick?? Maybe a bit of olive oil and a crop massage would help. His crop should be flat in the morning, if not it could be an obstruction. More info would help us help you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. VkyVky

VkyVky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Ventura County, CA
    I've never heard of anything except free feeding. Does anyone else serve meals to their chickens? I thought they needed to eat through out the day. [​IMG]

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:I am thinking that maybe this is something she started since he is sick?? not sure??

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I think he should be free feeding, even if he gets to free range, at the very least you should be feeding him 1/4 lb a day of mash or crumbles you can try changing his diet and see if that helps. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] :yiipchic

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If the time span from eating to pooping is 2 and 1/2 hours, my guess is the poor thing is starving. No wonder he puking. There's not enough in im to do anything else. Mine eat all day. And I mean all day. The first thing out of the coop in the morning all 8 crowd around the feeder, then water and back to the feeder. I can't imagine 2 tablespoons of feed a day.

8. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by