My rooster vs my Dog (Jack russell terrier)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ben Keefer, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Ben Keefer

Ben Keefer Hatching

Jun 22, 2017
    Virginia
    I just recently got chickens so not much experience, but I also have a jack russell terrier. You can probably already guess where this is going...

So I let my chickens free range and tie the dog out when they aren't secured in the coop. She obviously wants to kill them as that's what jack russells do. There is almost no hope of stopping her prey drive, but recently the rooster has been approaching her and puffing up along with the hens circling. Can I keep this from escalating any way other than monitoring or just making sure they aren't out at the same time?

My primary concern is my dog. If she were loose I have no doubt she'd be fine but then all my chickens would be dead. Tied up though I'm afraid she could get really torn up. Given the alpha nature of both the rooster and the dog, it would only end with one of them killing the other I'm guessing. Not sure on rooster, but I know my dog and she would fight to the death.

I have 1 rooster and 5 hens and they are all coronation sussex. I was also wondering if maybe there was something I could put out where I tie the dog that the chickens would avoid that area.

Thanks ahead of time for all the help!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Don't keep them out in the yard at the same time, ever, would probably be the best for all involved.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Btw...Welcome to BYC!
    :frow

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree with the above post. Depending on the age of your rooster, the temperament of the rooster and the dog. Sometimes after a real skirmish, animals realize that it is better not to fight again, but frankly not Roosters or Jack Russells. I agree, don't mix them.

5. NotSoChickenLove

NotSoChickenLove Chirping

Jun 1, 2017
    NZ
    Not a chicken or a dog expert but it sounds like disaster waiting to happen, to me. Can't you secure the dog somewhere where he's unable to see the chickens? It's kind of like some form of teasing from his point of view. I would keep the dog secured when the chickens were out, but I would also keep dog and rooster right out of each other's sightlines.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do not respect the prey drive assessment of Jack Russels with respect to chickens. Work on getting dog to ignore the chickens as targets. There a lots of ways that it can be done.

We had neighbors with a couple of Jack Russells used to control rats in and around cattle feed lot. The dogs where oblivious to the free-range chickens as focus was on rats and mice. Dogs had free access to area with chickens most of every day.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: