1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster was attacked by a coyote

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LizzieD9, Dec 11, 2016.

1. LizzieD9

LizzieD9 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    This evening my rooster Jerry was attacked by what I seen was a coyote. I have two grown hens and two chicks that are 14 weeks old. All of my hens were hiding and untouched from the coyote. I looked out my back window to see Jerry was being attacked. I sprinted outside and the coyote ran off Jerry ran to his girls a little worked up. I noticed his missing feathers on the ground but I could not see his skin. He is an all white rooster so I seen some blood on his neck feathers but not a lot. He has a large comb and there were some blood on it but was all still intact. I'm new to being a chicken owner. Is there something I should do for him? I want him to get some rest tonight and plan to check him in the morning. He is such a great rooster protecting his girls and risking his life I hate to lose him if I can help him!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You might pick him up off his roost with a flashlight while he is asleep, and just make sure he has no serious wounds under his wings or elsewhere that could be hidden by feathers. Vetericyn wound spray is very good to use on any wounds. Make sure he is alert and able to stand in the morning. Offer him some chopped egg and make sure he is drinking. They can be in shock for awhile after an attack, and if he seems to be, then place him in a dim quiet place like a dog crate with food and water until her perks up. He sounds like a lucky fellow to have escaped serious injury.

1 person likes this.
  3. LizzieD9

LizzieD9 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Update for Jerry!
    He was his normal self today doesn't seem to have wounds around his need just scratches from his comb. I will continue to keep an eye on him. He's such a lucky guy!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. Good luck with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by