My Rooster was attacked by a dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txcowgirl51, Feb 4, 2014.

1. txcowgirl51

txcowgirl51 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    BoomBoom, my rooster who will be 1 year old in May was attacked by a dog two days ago. This morning he finally came out of the chicken nesting box and is walking very slow and is not crowing. We also noticed that his right eye is closed but my husband said when he opened it, it was white. I don't know if that is his second eyelid or his eye is damaged. I think his eye is damaged. Should we try to put some medicated eye drops on his eye? He looks so sad. I'm sure he is hurting. Thank you.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    what kind of injuries does he have? More information is needed to advise on treatment.

3. txcowgirl51

Jul 8, 2012
    His whole hind end is bare, all his tail feathers are complete gone. We have sprayed him with Neosporin on his bare spots. He is keeping his left eye closed. I have not gotten close enough to him to take a picture of his eye but I will as soon as I can since I am recovering from the flu.
    We don't know if he has any internal injuries. He is just walking very slow. But at least he is out of the nesting box and outside. He had been inside the coop for the last three days. He is eating and drinking lots of water.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The white that your husband saw is probably the nictitating membrane or 3rd eyelid. It's purpose is to protect the eye. When he comes in to roost would be the best time to put some Neosporin or Terramycin ointment on his eye. I hope he feels better soon.

Make sure the other chickens don't pick on him. If he has any sprains or broken bones, resting them in a cage with food/water may be beneficial.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    get some BLUE-KOTE and spray on the injured areas

6. txcowgirl51

Jul 8, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are some pictures of my rooster. The first one is his raw hind end. The rest are his left eye. I think he may have fowl pox. Please let me know what you think. Thank you again for your help.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If he is out and about with those wounds, he will probably be pecked. I would probably keep him in a crate for a few more days, or at least spray him with BluKote as Cooper Farms suggested. But the tail area looks like it still needs Neosporin ointment to me.He looks to just have wounds on his comb, much like peck wounds. Here is what fowl pox looks like: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I agree with Eggcessive that is not fowl pox,those are peck wounds and wounds made from a dog's tooth. Bring him inside he is not feeling well at all. Keep him warm,clean wounds daily with a diluted peroxide solution,and apply an antibiotic ointment. Keep him separate from other chickens as they will peck/pick at his wounds causing more damage.

Is that green poop in picture? If so are you sure he is eating? For pain you can give him a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,give orally(wrapped in a pce of meat or cheese)or crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed.

You are probably seeing the nictitating membrane as Eggcessive already stated. Wipe his eye with a warm cloth,then apply the ointment.

Watch for infection,some signs of infection are:foul smell coming from wounds,swelling/redness of wounds,wound not healing,bird becoming lethargic,not eating/drinking.

9. txcowgirl51

Jul 8, 2012
    We have made a warm place for BoomBoom in one of our sheds. Today he did not eat. He sleeps most of the time. I don't think he is going to survive. [​IMG]

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How is BoomBoom today? If you want to try and save him,you are going to have to tube feed him. This is why chickens(birds in general)are fragile it is b/c after not eating for a couple of days their bodies just start to shut down and they just die. They require a constant supply of food to fuel their body's(high metabolism)without this food,they become lethargic as they are trying to conserve whatever energy they have left and usually die(starvation). Does he have green poop,which indicates starvation(other than eating grass clippings,etc).

In cases such as your boy tube feeding and keeping birds warm is crucial for recovery. Birds also become dehydrated very fast,which again leads to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by