My rooster went broody!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mdulik, Mar 29, 2011.

1. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Lol just kidding [​IMG] , but seriously I did find him sitting on 4 eggs tonight. Is this normal behaviour for roo? Is he giving the ladiies a break, or did he just happen to find the box that had the eggs and decide to make himself comfy?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I have a roo who likes to keep his hens company in the nest box when they are laying their eggs. Sometimes the hen will leave and he'll stay in there for awhile. He just makes himself at home. It's cute.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Some gentlemen roos DO give broody ladies a break. But what is more likely is that he is showing one of his ladies the nestbox is an excellent place to lay eggs. I have a rooster (the dominant one in the flock) who encourages pullets to lay in nests, getting in, turning around, making that cooing, "This is good!" sound, jumping out and continuing to encourage her.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    That is so funny! I couldn't click on this topic fast enough when I saw the headline [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    And people wonder why we love keeping chickens...........

6. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks for the replys. I was really wondering what he was doing, other then just taking a nap on top of some eggs. I just didnt know if he decided to kick back in this box reading his paper and watching the kids or trying to do some secret rooster thing in the middle of the night. [​IMG]

7. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a few of my OEGB roos that prefer sleeping in the nest box instead of the perch.They are just the funniest fellas...

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:Rooster reconaissance.... (sp??) Secret mission type stuff. He's really a hen in drag... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by