My rooster won't crow!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AMT1219, Dec 16, 2011.

1. AMT1219

AMT1219 New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    My new, and only, rooster has happily taken charge of his flock of 5 hens but the neighbor's rooster thinks they are his hens. I've been fighting off the neighbor's rooster because 1. he's much bigger than my rooster and 2. mine doesn't do anything but get out of the way when the rooster next door comes over. Per someone's advice, I've managed to soak the neighbor's rooster a few times and it seems to have helped a little, but what I'd really like to see is a little more effort from my rooster! At least some crowing or something! The other rooster comes over and crows and hops on his hens in varying order if I'm not right there to stop him. Mine doesn't so much as blink. Can I train him to crow somehow so he at least puts up the first line of defense and maybe someday I can stop chasing the neighbor's rooster around?

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Sounds like the other Rooster is head boy and your guy is keeping his head down so as not to get a pasting. Can;t you talk to the neighbor about managing his flock on his own land???

Other option of course is : If he doesn;t crow - Does he lay [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oesdog

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    maybe your rooster is intimidated by this other rooster so does not crow -

is ther any way you could fence your in for a week or so ? just guessing but maybe he might come out his shell more and think they are his girls and protect them more also his may help the your neighbours loose interest maybe?

its uess work on my end as ive not had this problem

4. AMT1219

AMT1219 New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    Unfortunately, asking the neighbor to keep better control of his rooster isn't really an option. I live in Costa Rica where chickens essentially have the run of whatever territory they can get. My rooster will crow in the middle of the night (of course) but never during the day, when it would seem the most important time to mark his territory.

I could enclose them for a while but the hens are normally free-range so they get pretty cranky when I do. About 15 minutes ago I was pulling into my driveway from a quick errand and the big rooster was chasing my little guy around. When he saw me he bolted back to his yard. I'm getting worn out from chasing him - ugh!

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I thought mine had quit. But the old boy is crowing at 5:30 instead of daylight. The wife came in and said, "Bob's crowing his head off". I grabbed a light and my pistol and ran to the coop. He was just crowing at 5:30. I have been inside all this time when he's doing his thing. Oh, the wife walks a mile every morning before we eat. I go two miles afterwards.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. AMT1219

AMT1219 New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    I enclosed my flock a little while ago and who should appear? Romeo the Rooster from next door. I know this because I heard him crowing next to the coop. Of course Guapo, my new guy, just stands there...not a peep.

I got Romeo with the hose again but I just know he'll be back. What else can I do?

7. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    Quote:i did not read that bit about where you were sorry .

i seeyor point on the land and cranky hens mine are cranky as for me they are back garden in the uk and this month they have been "indoors" in the run and they want out in the garden but its now snowing asoftoday and the garden has turned into a mud puddle [​IMG]

i do hope you can sort things out i have had my little guy for 18 weeks growing up fromday one and am learnign as i go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by