My rooster won't stop pecking his wound

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wsokola14, Oct 6, 2015.

1. wsokola14

wsokola14 New Egg

Apr 13, 2015
    Last week I had a raccoon get into my chicken coop. It got one of the hens and also got hold of my rooster but he survived. I isolated him to treat his wound. It's in his back in front of his tail and also behind his leg on his stomach. I out antibiotic gel on it and pick no more but he is constantly picking at it and making it worse. Is there a point in time where he is just going to pick himself to death? He is still eating and drinking but just continues to make the wound bigger

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you can find a child's small t-shirt to put on him which may keep him from pecking so much. I wonder if he has a reason. Wounds are often infiltrated by maggots and that could be what is aggravating him so much. They can cause much more damage than the original wounds. Please take a good look to see if that is the reason. Maybe his wounds are also getting infected and irritate him.

Chickens generally have great recuperative abilities and recover from some horrendous wounds - generally they do not bother their own, but other flock members certainly
    will.

You may also want to post on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread for advice. If you have photos of his wound please post them, as well as detailing what you have been doing to treat him.

what kind of antibiotic gel are you using. Most folks use Neosporin (NO CAIN) ointment. What you are using my bother his skin or ???

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome to BYC.

Sorry about the loss and hope your rooster improves.

I had a problem when my flock were younger and the lowest one was pecked badly on her back at the base of the tail. She also pecked the area and drew blood on herself. BluKote stopped the pecking immediately. I don't know it this will work for you or interfere with the wound care, my issue was superficial.

drumstick diva has given you the best solution to cover the wounds and post under emergencies for more input.

Assuming you have the rooster isolated, give him something more interesting to peck at - a flock block or a chicken suet and maybe he will be more interested in that.

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

I am real sorry about your rooster. There is some great advice above.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BluKote or Pick-no-more might help your situation. Good luck! I hope he stops picking soon so he can get to 100%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by