My rooster won't stop pecking his wound

wsokola14

Hatching
Apr 13, 2015
Last week I had a raccoon get into my chicken coop. It got one of the hens and also got hold of my rooster but he survived. I isolated him to treat his wound. It's in his back in front of his tail and also behind his leg on his stomach. I out antibiotic gel on it and pick no more but he is constantly picking at it and making it worse. Is there a point in time where he is just going to pick himself to death? He is still eating and drinking but just continues to make the wound bigger

Maybe you can find a child's small t-shirt to put on him which may keep him from pecking so much. I wonder if he has a reason. Wounds are often infiltrated by maggots and that could be what is aggravating him so much. They can cause much more damage than the original wounds. Please take a good look to see if that is the reason. Maybe his wounds are also getting infected and irritate him.

Chickens generally have great recuperative abilities and recover from some horrendous wounds - generally they do not bother their own, but other flock members certainly
will.

You may also want to post on "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread for advice. If you have photos of his wound please post them, as well as detailing what you have been doing to treat him.

what kind of antibiotic gel are you using. Most folks use Neosporin (NO CAIN) ointment. What you are using my bother his skin or ???

welcome-byc.gif

I'm glad your roo survived the raccoon attack and hope he is better soon. Here is a link to help you get to the emergency forum Drumstick diva suggested:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Thanks for joining us and I hope you don't have any more encounters with predators.

Welcome to BYC.

Sorry about the loss and hope your rooster improves.

I had a problem when my flock were younger and the lowest one was pecked badly on her back at the base of the tail. She also pecked the area and drew blood on herself. BluKote stopped the pecking immediately. I don't know it this will work for you or interfere with the wound care, my issue was superficial.

drumstick diva has given you the best solution to cover the wounds and post under emergencies for more input.

Assuming you have the rooster isolated, give him something more interesting to peck at - a flock block or a chicken suet and maybe he will be more interested in that.

Back
Top Bottom