1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my rooster wont top no hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gamecok 111, Nov 15, 2013.

1. gamecok 111

gamecok 111 New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    i got some game fowl an my rooster i kept in a pen by hiself over the summer an recently put him in a brew pen with 6 hens all diffrent and he wont top ( mate, breed , or etc. ) an i just domt know hes a year old an hes crowing an everything hes got a heathly breast an everything do u kno what wrong with him

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Maybe he just needs time to get to know them and figure out what to do. He also might be doing it and you just don't know. I rarely see my Brahma males mate the hens but I get nearly 100% fertility rates. There's one way for sure to find out. Pop a few eggs in the incubator and if in 21 days you have chicks well then someone is doing something right![​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree--have you checked fertility? I hardly see my mature roosters mate, but all my eggs appear fertile. They're quick, and unless you're out there all the time you can easily miss mating.

4. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Sometimes older hens will be so dominant that they beat up the rooster. Generally if he has been raised by himself, he may not know how to handle the ladies, but he'll probably figure it out.

A man I was talking with told me how he had to pull the boss hen out of his breeding pen because she pounded the snot out of the young rooster he brought in, dragging him all over the pen by his comb. He became so literally hen-pecked that he simply spent his time hiding from her. After she was removed, the rooster began to breed the others. It took awhile. I have heard of roosters who have been so hen-pecked that they apparently never mate.

Watch in the mid to late afternoon; that is when roosters tend to feel amorous.

5. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Yeah I think my one rooster is having the same problem you are describing above. I just bought him this past weekend and either his hormones haven't kicked in yet( still haven't heard him crow ) or he's just afraid of them. I think he's finally starting to perk up and show them who's boss though. The other rooster who is suppose to be the sane age acts more manly and crows all the time so once I get eggs they should be fertile.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Maybe he's breeding the hens when you are not around.

7. X2 and:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by