My roosteris injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShelleyAnn, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ShelleyAnn

ShelleyAnn New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi, Im new here & have a problem. My sweet rooster got his leg/ foot in the coop fence. He was laying on ground foot up & stuck. Insult to injury the flock also attacked him. He lost an eye it looks like. His head & neck pecked terribly. His crown is all bloody too. His face is so swollen he looks very weak. His foot is broken can't stand. Im so sad. I cleaned him up isolated him. He just hangs his head & cant stand. What should I do? Im not experienced with this. He is a big guy. Heavy too. His foot just hangs. Wont curl when I put my hand to it. Looks bruised & swollen @ center of foot

2. ShelleyAnn

ShelleyAnn New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Also his other eye looks swollen as well. He opens it a little then quickly closes it. I think he is blind :( The other eye is sealed closed with dried blood. He looks so sad. He about 6 yrs old. Such a cool beautiful rooster

3. kukree

kukree Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2012
    maybe u should try giving him food that is high in energy and add vitamin supplements to his food and water

4. ShelleyAnn

ShelleyAnn New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    I gave him some water. He drank a little. Refused the grain. What else can I offer him. I read soft wet cat food? I will put vitamins in the water. Good idea

5. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    :'( :'( poor baby! :'(
    I know someone is going to suggest that he be put down but if you're like me, I'm sure you'd want to do whatever you can first. I don't really know what to do other than treating the wounds. Neosporin? liquid bandage? Id take him to a vet for sure. Maybe the leg can be set and splinted? I read somewhere that you can make a hobble or something for chicks, maybe you can do something like that. When I was a kid, my dog was paralyzed from the waist down and was going to have to be put down but my mom didn't give up. She massaged his legs every day and had him in a little pool or bathtub, moving his feet to keep circulation going and get them working again. If eventually regained full use of his legs and lived for about ten more years :)

I'm so sorry this happened to you and your roo:'(

6. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Sorry, seems I misunderstood the word hobble. Thought it meant like a crutch

7. riley081

riley081 New Egg

Jul 3, 2012
    I had a hen fly into the coop netting and hang upside down. I didn't know how long she had been there....wouldn't sit...just lay in her side. I isolated her into a hospital pen. Food and water.... Wanted to give her a chance. No change first day or so....then...she sat up! Third day she had her feet flat on the floor and would hop around using her wings for balance. Next day she was walking....now a couple weeks later she is out with the rest of the girls and doing just fine! Hope your Roo recovers...give him a bit of time to see how he does.

1 person likes this.
  8. PeepAholic

PeepAholic New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    I agree with what kurkee said, although I haven't always done it the same way. My wife and I have nursed a few hens back that others where too far gone to save from dog attacks, I guess it helps that my wife is a nurse by profession. Most of them having problems like you mentioned with their eyes. You can use a lot of human things on the birds. We clean wounds with "hurt free" band-aid brand antiseptic as it also has a topical antistatic to help with the pain. You can use a warm damp rag help on his eyes to moisten the dried blood and hopefully help him to open his eyes. As for getting him the additional nutrients we prefer to use Pedialite or Pedia One that is normally for small children. It has a sweet taste that they seem to like as well as having loads of vitamins and electrolytes. We offer it free choice in a water-er, or if they are very bad off have given it directly into their mouths with a syringe multiple times a day until they are able to drink themselves. If he will be still enough feel his leg to see if you can feel a break in the bone, or if he reacts more to pressure in one spot over another, it may be a sprained or dislocated knee. We have also used vet wrap to give some added stability to a joint or broken bone while it heals. If you go that route you need to pay close attention to it that it's not wrapped too tight that it's cutting of circulation. Also it needs to be changed every day or two with a few hour break to let his feathers and leg breath. Keep him isolated but pay close attention,as he recovers you can give him more privileges. We had one hen that stayed in her own coop for 3 weeks not even allowed out into the grass, but she had a broken leg and 23 stitches from a dog attack, no one thought she would live, but with careful care and love she made a full recovery. We named her Lady Luck! Good luck please let me know if I can help at all.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by