My Rooster's a wimp?

Amyh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
North Carolina
How is it that my only rooster is at the bottom of the pecking order? He is the only rooster I kept and is very very sweet, but he is at the bottom of the group. Will he eventually work his way up?

How old is he?

If he is still young he may stay at the bottom. However, once his hormones kick in that will change. With no other males to compete with he should eventually start taking on the boss role more.

Ofcourse the biggest rooster I have is tough on the other boys but if anything spooks him, he immediately ducks under one of the girls! What a chicken!

My guy is a wuss, too. He's a WC Polish, 7 months old. The hens pick on him like crazy, and he just lets them. When he tries to mount one, if she turns and cackles at him, he walks away. If he tries wooing a hen with the "rooster dance," she'll just turn away and he gives up. I get very few fertilized eggs. Good thing I wasn't planning a breeding program around him, huh? He'll puff up and challenge me once in a while, but he's easy to back down. The one thing he does well is crow!
lol.png

My guy is fairly young, about 16 weeks old, the same age as 6 of the hens. 2 of the hens are older than that, they are currently laying, and the rest are younger than him. He is above the youngest girls, but below the others that are his age and older.

He is very sweet and protects the little hens and actually will lay over them to keep them warmer. However, I don't want to feed a rooster that does not protect my flock and is a complete wimp. Do you think he will establish himself as his hormones kick in? I've been doing rooster training with him since I got him, so I push him away from the feeder when I give the girls their treats. I have never witnessed him trying to mate, but if I do, I would not allow him to mate in front of me to prevent later behavioral issues.

Back
Top Bottom