My roosters are sleeping together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RobinZ, Sep 22, 2012.

1. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I have 2 roosters, one a black australorp and one a SLW, both are about 16 weeks old, raised together. They sleep together in the same nesting box. BA started crowing several wks ago but has now stopped. Is this norma? Have to say they look kinda cute squished into the that nexting box, lol.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are the hens they are with? It's Normal if they are in with older hens. Even if they aren't, they could just be maturing a bit later. Nothing to worry about.

I have 2 cockerels about the same age sleeping in nest boxes too - the older hens are scaring them off the roost.

3. RobinZ

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the reply. They are afraid of the hens who are about 21 weeks old and some have started to lay.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since we don't care to have pullets or cockerels messing the nests, making them nasty, we often just finish the cockerels in a bachelor pad, (small tractor) until they can take their place in the flock. The pullets are integrated at POL with older hens, but the cockerels can take a little longer.

[​IMG]

5. RobinZ

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by