my rooster's crest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marylouj1, Feb 25, 2013.

1. marylouj1

marylouj1 New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    my black polish's crest keeps getting pecked out by my chickens for a yr. they grow a little then they pull them out. we even brought him in our house (dog crated) or on a porch fro 2 weeks and they were over 2 inches long we put him back out with the chickens and all was goosd all day then why they were roosting they pecked them back out. help. do i just leave him until his crest is all feathers?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Polish in a mixed flock frequently have their crests removed by the other birds. Why? I have not a clue. Any chance of making a second coop/run and getting him some Polish hens?

3. marylouj1

marylouj1 New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Sorta of can. They don't pick them out during the day I could keep them seprate at night but my chickens aren't in a coop. They go in a coop at night but the day they are all over the acres close to coop. Thanks. These are my first chickens and this is the coolest rooster ever. He's like a pet, he evens plays with my dogs. And during the day he's king of the roost

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by