1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My roosters feathers are beat up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bodacious78, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Bodacious78

Bodacious78 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    This is the second year that his hackle feathers look really stressed out. Last spring there were two roos in my flock so i dismissed it as damage from just being a young male.
    But this year he's got the flock to him self, so when I noticed his feathers loosing their golden red color I became concerned. He looks fluffy and his hackles all look like they have been trimmed or beaten.
    He's a two year old, golden laced Wyandotte. You can see the natural color of his hackles towards the back in these pics. The dark blackish grey looks like the blades of the feathers are missing and there's just down left. Any help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] and Welcome To BYC

Have you seen any of your hens picking at the feathers?
    Any signs of molting - do you see any pin feathers underneath there?

Check him over for any signs of lice/mites to make sure the damage is not due to him picking/preening them.
    Sometimes hens may pick/pull at a rooster's feathers as well.

If he is molting (you see pin feathers) offer him some extra protein like egg or tuna. Give him some poultry vitamins once a week and some Black Oil Sunflower seed (just a small amount) to give him a boost.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    I would wonder if he may molt soon also. Nutri drench is a really great booster. So is rooster booster. Good nutrition is obvious in shiny oily looking feathers in a rooster. You can add a little apple cider vinegar in the waterer for all your birds for a small stint. It will help with absorption and it is full of with enzymes and vitamins and minerals. I would also suggest that you really assess the diet. I do not know how much table scraps they eat but it should only be a small percent of what is available to them. What do your other birds feathers look like? He could just be hen pecked!

1 person likes this.
  4. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Sorry I forgot to say ... make them a dust bath in an area protected from rain and moisture. 3'x3' . Put ashes diatomaceous earth and gardeners dusting sulfur in it . Mostly ashes as the other 2 are effective in small amounts. The sulfur will kill any mites or lice. It is much easier than catching them and dipping or dusting each one by hand ! Which I have done and do not recommend. Don't forget to clean the coop for this problem if it is the cause. You can know by checking the vent of a hen. They will get on the rooster too. They are not gender specific.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bodacious78

Bodacious78 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    Wow. Nearly all of those are suggestions I would not have come up with. Let me do some assessment and I'll try to put some of these techniques to work. Thank you all for your awesome input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by