My roosters got into a big fight

Gigachad poultry

Rest in piece Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
36070 Castelgomberto, Province of Vicenza
So I got home yesterday and my roosters got into a big fight. Because my rooster Darcy whole I was holding in a smaller pen before I started his breeding setup got out his pen and his dad Herry our Colombian Sussex beat him up while protecting his hens. Darcy hid in the feed room and when I went out to the chickens I saw a bloody Herry covered comb to claw in red. I thought he killed a cat or something and then I saw poor Lil Darcy pop his head out from behind the food bin. He was bleeding badly from his comb and it had dripped down the back of his neck hardening all the neck feather in blood and he had a cut up throat face and feet. Herry was fine no cuts no nothing just a blood covered rooster. Darcy is who I'm worried about. What can I do to help his comb now he has a huge crab and his comb is drained. And his neck feathers smell horrible.

This is Herry

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_161732583.jpg
    PXL_20230320_161732583.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Yeah they were fine till Darcy started crowing. Then the hens started following Darcy everywhere and Herry started attacking him but it was never anywhere near this bad just a peck on the comb. Then we moved Darcy in his own pen away from the flock and when he got out Herry woke up and chose violence.

Roosters will eventually challenge one another even if they grow up together, or have cohabited for along time. A son will eventually challenge the father when hormones surge. I would just keep them separated and leave the comb alone. They will heal on their own. Are both of his eyes uninjured? Just don’t let them out together anymore.

Back
Top Bottom