My roosters hate this hen,why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Dec 27, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have two roosters,well technically one rooster and a cockerel.Zeus who is a New Hampshire red over a year old,and then spots his son (Subordinate roo),who is about 6 months

I have a hen,I have about 23 other hens.Out of all these hens my Black sexlink who is about 3 1/2 is the most hated.She is very up there ion the order about third to the beginning.My roosters HATE her.Not sure if it's her dominance.When her and Zeus were getting ok,she took advantage of his place (He was new to everything so she took swings on occasion.It's not like he just sat there and got beat up,he did eventually scare her,but he hasn't stopped.He contsnatly chases her away from food and water,acts as if she is another rooster.Why is he still holding this grudge (It's been about 6 months since this hen submitted,yet he still attacks her)?

As for my cockeral i'm lost.Could it possibly be her MG disease?She shows no weakness accept for her horrifying breathing problems.He treats her just as my rooster does just about ten times worse.He'll grab her and shred feathers,and im sure he would draw blood.Any idea?Maybe she isn't showing submission?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, the rooster knows this hen is sub-par and he's trying to eliminate her from the flock. It's what chickens do to the infirm among them.

If you want to keep this hen, you need to get her away from the aggressive members of the flock or they will eventually kill her.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by