1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my rooster's legs and feet are red and he can't walk. I have pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernrush, Nov 10, 2013.

1. southernrush

southernrush Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    [​IMG] what can I do for him

2. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Those scabby bumps look like bumblefoot to me, but u can't tell from the picture. Anyone???

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post more pictures of both legs and feet? Some possibilities are bad bumblefoot or some other infection such as MS, or maybe gout. He looks like he needs some antibiotics. Penicillin, baytril are some suggestions. If you have a vet that will see him, I would take him.

4. southernrush

Nov 10, 2013
    [​IMG] maybe this is better

5. southernrush

Nov 10, 2013
    My vet does not see chickend I have been putting Duramycin -10 in his water

6. southernrush

Nov 10, 2013
    This is my first time raising chickens I have 23. This roo has had problems from the time he was a chick I have babied him from the beging of his life I just don't want him to suffer. I can get the med but I don't know how much to give him

7. southernrush

Nov 10, 2013
    Can anyone help me tell me what to do

8. southernrush

Nov 10, 2013
    I put a pic that was close up can you tell what it is.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    His foot looks very swollen and infected--bumblefoot. Is the other foot like it? I would get some Procaine Penicillin G at the feed store. It is in the refrigerated medicines. Get 4- 3 cc syringes and some 18 or 20 gauge needles. Give him 0.1 cc (1/10th of a cc or ml into his breast muscle every day for 4 days--alternate sides daily. Soak his foot in warm epsom salts twice a day for 10 minutes.

It is very important if both feet are like this he could be suffering from mycoplasma synoviae. If so, the appropriate antibiotic would then by Tylan50--1 cc or ml into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. Does he have anyblisters on his breast or chest? Here is some info on this disease:http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma_synoviae_infection_in_poultry.html

10. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    look up how to treat bumble foot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by