my rooster's legs and feet are red and he can't walk. I have pic

southernrush

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
what can I do for him

Those scabby bumps look like bumblefoot to me, but u can't tell from the picture. Anyone???

Last edited:
Can you post more pictures of both legs and feet? Some possibilities are bad bumblefoot or some other infection such as MS, or maybe gout. He looks like he needs some antibiotics. Penicillin, baytril are some suggestions. If you have a vet that will see him, I would take him.

Last edited:
This is my first time raising chickens I have 23. This roo has had problems from the time he was a chick I have babied him from the beging of his life I just don't want him to suffer. I can get the med but I don't know how much to give him

I put a pic that was close up can you tell what it is.
Can you post more pictures of both legs and feet?  Some possibilities are bad bumblefoot or some other infection such as MS, or maybe gout.  He looks like he needs some antibiotics.  Penicillin, baytril are some suggestions.  If you have a vet that will see him, I would take him. 

His foot looks very swollen and infected--bumblefoot. Is the other foot like it? I would get some Procaine Penicillin G at the feed store. It is in the refrigerated medicines. Get 4- 3 cc syringes and some 18 or 20 gauge needles. Give him 0.1 cc (1/10th of a cc or ml into his breast muscle every day for 4 days--alternate sides daily. Soak his foot in warm epsom salts twice a day for 10 minutes.

It is very important if both feet are like this he could be suffering from mycoplasma synoviae. If so, the appropriate antibiotic would then by Tylan50--1 cc or ml into the breast muscle for 3-5 days. Does he have anyblisters on his breast or chest? Here is some info on this disease:http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma_synoviae_infection_in_poultry.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom