My rooster's legs are paralyzed.. please help me !

Naina

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2015
My rooster is 7 years old... he's totally healthy and he's a pet ( i don't have any other chicken or roosters around him)
Last week he started losing balance and kept falling down and today he woke up with completely paralyzed legs ..he can't walk or even sit, just spreading his legs so stiffly straight forward. He had his breakfast with normal apetite.
I've read about Marek's disease, but he doesn't have the symptoms of it.. the problem is just with his legs.
Could someone please help me ?

It could be a vitamin deficiency or neurotoxin poisoning. It's unlikely Marek's at his age.

First give him an Epsom salt flush to try to neutralize the toxins if that's the cause. 1 tsp to 1 oz water Get it all into his crop. You could mix it with flavored jello. They like the red ones.

Better would be activated charcoal 4 capsules dissolved in a cup of mush.

After you flush his system, give him vitamin E oil 400iu with a sliver of selenium once a day plus a B complex tablet. Continue until symptoms disappear.

It could be a vitamin deficiency or neurotoxin poisoning. It's unlikely Marek's at his age.

First give him an Epsom salt flush to try to neutralize the toxins if that's the cause. 1 tsp to 1 oz water Get it all into his crop. You could mix it with flavored jello. They like the red ones.

Better would be activated charcoal 4 capsules dissolved in a cup of mush.

After you flush his system, give him vitamin E oil 400iu with a sliver of selenium once a day plus a B complex tablet. Continue until symptoms disappear.
I've just noticed that he has a hematoma on his leg near the joint ... what are the possible causes?

Bad bruise. Leg fracture. Tumor caused by avian virus. Only a vet could tell you which one.

Can you post a close up photo? Select "full size image" When you post.

Bad bruise. Leg fracture. Tumor caused by avian virus. Only a vet could tell you which one.

Can you post a close up photo? Select "full size image" When you post.
It's getting worse & he's in so much pain, i tried to put on some ice packs on it and compress it.
Could it be a clot ?

Attachments

• 20180321_184402.jpg
    20180321_184402.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 11
It could also be an infection. We would be able to get better magnification if you had select full size image when you posted that.

You can alleviate his pain by giving him a baby aspirin twice a day. (81 grain tablet)

You can try putting a poultice on it that draws out infection, if that's what it is. You can make one out of raw potato strips sliced thin and wide to wrap around the swelling. I would soak the leg in very warm water with Epsom salt first. Look carefully for a wound or a spot where there might be a foreign object such as a wood splinter or cactus needle. You might then be able to remove it and it would heal. Use Vetericyn on the skin at that spot.

You could also treat him with an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin if you suspect infection. If he doesn't get better with an antibiotic, you should suspect something viral, and that probably would not be treatable.

Back
Top Bottom