My rooster's pooping green poop and he won't move

CobaltChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
Weeeell, I was actually planning on killing off my roosters today, because we have seven with 28 hens... I feel kinda bad about that but no one will take 'em and I'm not really willing to take the time to gut and dress them in this winter weather. But when I went out there, one of my four Barred Rock rooster's was sitting in a corner of a coop, and wasn't reacting to anything. I picked him up and set him out of the way of the others (they were trampling him) and several hours later, I just came back to find him sittin' in the same spot.

There was dark green poop all around where he was, so I know it was him. He pecked at the food I set down in front of him, but didn't eat it like the others (ya know, crazily and all)... I'm pretty sure he hasn't drank anything today either.

I've seen several other posts, but from what I've read, know one really knows what the name of what these symptom's disease is called. Help anyone?

Yesterday, he was acting much better, but today he was extremely disoriented. He was stumbling and couldn't hold his head straight. I'm pretty sure he's going to die within a couple hours. I have no idea about what sickness he picked up. I'm just hoping now it's not contagious.

I don't want to offend anybody, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this rooster; I have seven. He's still alive, but I'm not going to take him to the vet or anything like that. It's too much money... In the past, I've never had a problem with killing them off if they become to sick (extremely sick, like this one is). Unless he shows improvement in the next few days, then I will cull him to end his suffering. Simple as that.But thank you all for trying to help me :)

I don't want to offend anybody, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this rooster; I have seven. He's still alive, but I'm not going to take him to the vet or anything like that. It's too much money... In the past, I've never had a problem with killing them off if they become to sick (extremely sick, like this one is). Unless he shows improvement in the next few days, then I will cull him to end his suffering. Simple as that.But thank you all for trying to help me :)
I just thought you might want to know the cause of his illness for the sake of your the rest of the flock, which is why I suggested having a necropsy done. Many States will do them for free and let you use their FedEx account number to save on shipping.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom