My roosters prefer blondes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ifowldown, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ifowldown

Ifowldown Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    I currently have 18 birds all about 15 weeks old. 7 amberlink pullets, 5 golden comet pullets, 3 light brahma pullets, and 3 light brahma roosters.

I've noticed the last few days, my roosters have started crowing and started getting "busy" with the hens. The interesting part though is they are only trying to mate with the amberlinks. They pay absolutly no attention to the brahma pullets, or the golden comets, but are constantly circling the amberlinks and mounting them any chance they get.

Are amberlinks like the sluts of the barnyard or something? I'm thinking they are the "low-standards" breed.[​IMG]

Does it mean they are closer to laying then the other breeds are? I'm still waiting for all these free eggs I keep hearing about.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:My roo prefers barred rocks....really, he's an EE roo but loves the barred rock girls. But the young roo's go after the older hens that will let them "get busy", but I do believe each roo has his preference.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

My roos seemed to prefer blondes as well but they really went to town on my Buff Orps...then I figured out just why. My BOs were sluts. Sorry, but they just were! Every time the roo would come within five feet of them they would drop to the ground. Too eager and too often. As a result they had bare backs all the time...I finally culled them from the flock and didn't have anymore problems. The White Rocks weren't so docile and would give the roos a run for their money.

I certainly seemed to me that the lighter the color of the chicken in my flocks, the more interest the roos showed. I guess men will be men...in any species. [​IMG]

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    how long do they mount? My guy mounts I think..for like 5 seconds if that lol..he's special I think...

I'm not sure he's actually doing what he thinks he is doing...lol..

5. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    I was wondering if it may be hen behavior too that was attracting them, but all the hens are acting identical. None of them are really "squatting". All the breeds will bend over when they are pecking the ground, and the amberlinks even try to get away each time the roosters approach. Often they are just too slow.

6. Ifowldown

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:Usually for about 5 seconds.

7. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:"Free Eggs"... I don't know about yours but mine will be worth their weight in gold for the first year or so!!!

8. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My roo goes for my black girl. Totally in lust with her. Of course, he's a blond.

9. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    my poor EE girl was the coop ""doorknob" for awhile- but funny thing is that when one of my girls went broody- i put the green eggs under her - figured they HAD to be fertile - but none hatched

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Naughty, what breed is that in your avatar? I have two that look just like that and have no idea what they are.
    Not a real good pic but it's all I have right now. I'm thinking an EE
    [​IMG]
    ETA Pic

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by