my rooster's sick n i dont know whats wrong can anyone help plz...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leebee, Nov 17, 2010.

1. leebee

leebee New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    woodstock
    6 days ago i woke up n my rooster couldnt crow properly, he sounded like he was losing his voice. than when i got home from work he was limp and lethargic, i thought he was goin 2 die. but he stil hasnt i cant afford 2 go 2 t vet and have been trying to find similar symptoms to tell me whats wrong with him. yesterday he could hold his head up again n was eating when i offered food but he still cant stand up with out losing balance n falling down. I first thought gapeworm but when i read about it, it didnt hav all t symptoms, can anybody help me plz

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Welcome

You really will need to go through the 12 questions in the sticky so people can get an idea of what may be going on. This will be critical if a vet is out of the question.

There are a number of things that can be going on and some clues as to food, water, poop, flock history, age of chicken ect will help.

Often worms or cocci can cause a chicken illness and it may become withdrawn and lethargic with runny poop. But those don't tend to cause walking problems until very advanced and the chicken becomes malnurished and dehydrated.

Botulisum is one that can hit fast and cause movment problems, also it will often show runny poop, and loose feathers.

Vitamin defficiency or spoiled/moldy feed can be the cause illness with movment disorders too.

Often you are dealing with more than one thing when finding a sick bird, the first sickness may knock them down a bit then secondary infections flare up which can make it difficult to sort out just what the problem is. Also you don't need to see all they listed symptoms of an illness for it to be the problem.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. leebee

leebee New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    woodstock
    hi thanx 4 ur advice my rooster got up n walked around by himself yesterday morning n is gettin his crow back. im not sure wot happened 2 him but i think my TLC helped heaps. im not sure how old he is as i got him from a friends relative. thanx 4 ur help anyways [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by