My roosters think I'm a hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oceanic109, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oceanic109

Oceanic109 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    FL
    So i have two roosters that think I'm a female chicken. They dance around me and the more dominant rooster even chases away the other rooster if he gets close to me. I don't have the heart to chase my roosters around to leave me alone and i think this is the only way they will get close to me and lets me pet them. Even though at times the dominant rooster even tries to uh "fertalize the eggs". But when he tries anything i just gently shove him away. I was wondering is this normal even when the roosters have three real hens? It even seems I'm the favorite "hen" of my dominant rooster Chaotic. It's a bit funny cause the hens themselves think I'm a hen too, they try to peck me into the pecking order but I'm much bigger then them so i tap them on the head and they run away. So is it normal for roosters to think I'm a hen, i know chickens aren't the smartest but I'm very curious about this.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, its pretty normal. My roosters often "dance" for me, even though they have lots of other chicken's to dance for instead! It might also have to do with their dominance: rooster's "dancing" is often a threat or intimidating gesture.

3. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    I have the opposite happening...my hens think I'm a rooster...they squat when I touch them..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by