My roosters welcome the sun all day long...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel'sFlock, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband is at his wit's end is ready to make a massive batch of chicken and dumplings, but they are too small, still.
    Do everyone's roosters crow all day (beginning at 4am and not ending until after they go to bed)? Or are mine just 'special' like that?
    [​IMG]

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    With the exception of the plural for the roosters, I could have written this. He started out just in the morning, now it's all day long. Sometimes one crow right after the other for 15 mnutes at a time. No reason that I can tell. I'm not sure how long I can hold my husband off.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    When they're young they practice all day. As they get older they get a little more quiet. If there is more than one rooster crowing, they will go on for a while. Young roosters are just that way. [​IMG]

4. LilliansMamaw

LilliansMamaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I had a frizzle roo and he would start crowing as soon as he saw me and wouldn't shut his beak until I went back inside [​IMG] So he was rehomed. I also have 2 silkie roos and the one only crows in the morning and the other one has just started crowing.
    So I just think it depends on the roo [​IMG]

5. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I LOVE that mine are finally crowing and they are getting really good at it. My little guy, an OEGB is starting to now as well. I've named him Pipsqueek ...because...well...he squeeks and he's so small. I swear he comes off the ground when he tries tho!!! I have sooooo missed my silkie singing to me all day long, I absolutely love the song.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    My young men crow in the morning and then anytime they see someone in the yard. And they have a bad habit of flying up on the gate when we come out of the garage....
    Got a water gun to rectify that behavior!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

truth be told, I really don't mind. They are pretty hilarious, actually.
    Yes, having 4 makes it 4x as bad, but I am happy the one we have chosen to keep, Russell Crowes, (not so amusing, now, in retrospect) will settle down once he gets a bit older. At the moment, my hubs is ready to buy chicks from the feed store (rather than hatching our own, hence the need for a roo) and have a giant bbq!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Rachel'sFlock :

truth be told, I really don't mind. They are pretty hilarious, actually.
    Yes, having 4 makes it 4x as bad, but I am happy the one we have chosen to keep, Russell Crowes, (not so amusing, now, in retrospect) will settle down once he gets a bit older. At the moment, my hubs is ready to buy chicks from the feed store (rather than hatching our own, hence the need for a roo) and have a giant bbq!

I have two roosters that are old enough to crow anyway ( not sure about the babies yet) One doesn't crow at all. The other crows in the morning around feeding time (between 5:30 and 7:00 am) and then any time during the day that anyone enters the yard. We call him the watch chicken lol.​

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    My roos sings night and day. It's not uncommon for him to start crowing at 0300! Pitch black outside, everyone asleep and he crows. I'm not sure who he is trying to impress, or maybe he is "talking" in his sleep?

10. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 4 BR Roos that are 19 weeks old - also have 24 BR pullets same age. The young roos are trying to learn how to crow
    and are getting a little better at it by the day but still sound like someone is dying vs. a real live rooster crowing. We live in a
    neighborhood where several nearby farms keep chickens and the crowing goes on all day from about 5 a.m. until they go to bed.
    We love the sound so it dosen't bother us at all - will be glad though when our boys 'get the hang of it' though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by