My roosts are dirty!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sabz, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    My roosts are really dirty.. I was wondering if that was normal?

I thought the chicken's butt was suppose to be placed in a way the poop wouldn't fall on the roost. I am not sure if they actually poop ON it, or they just bring it dirt from under they feet. I never see "formed" poops on the board, it's just brownish and pretty hard to clean.

I have leghorns, so they are not really big. My roosts are 2*4 placed in a way that the large side is the perching side.
    Can that be too large for them? I think I should have placed them the other way.

What is a good way to clean a coop / roosts? Just water and vinegar doesn't seem to do such a good job.

Sorry for the weird question. It's just that I see so many pictures with roosts completely clean, I don't understand what I did wrong in my setup.

Oh yes, there is no way they can perch in another place and poop on the roost. There is nothing near it.

They kind of look like the one on the right on this picture, maybe a little worst.

http://ncpreppers.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/roost-with-removable-tubs1.jpg

Forgot to mention: They went outside everyday, for all summer/autumn, even on rainy days. I think it could possibly be just dirty feets, but it is very hard to clean! Arg.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Roosts for my former BOs were 2"x2"

Minimal poop on the roosts.

3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Since they are perching on the large side of the 2x4 the poop is more likely to stay there. The roost will stay clean if it is round. Their toes are supposed to be able to grasp around the round roost and when they poop it goes below the roost. If you turn the 2x4 so they can roost on the smaller side their toes will not be able to wrap around the roost and probably would not be as comfortable for them as roosting on the larger side. I would suggest changing to round roosts using wood, not metal or plastic as metal and plastic are too slippery. I use small trees with the side branches trimmed off and sanding any sharp areas. Bark left on is okay.

4. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hum, wonder why I didn't make them round in the first place?

Was it because in winter, with a flat surface they can "sit" on their feet to keep them warm? Does this make any sense? I must have read something about it somewhere..

I feel a little dumb, my parrot had round roosts, it fits the anatomy better than rectangular.

I will check if there is any tree that I could trim to get a branch. It would make more sense..

Thanks.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I use 2X4"s for roosts in my coop. And yes, they are a little crappy. It kinda looks like somebody splattered concrete all over them. And, so what? It's a chicken coop, with chickens running around, and hopping on them with their crappy little feet. :) Once, maybe twice a year, I'll throw them out in the yard and hose them off. I don't scrub them, or use any bleach or anything, I just blast them with the hose, let them dry and throw them back in there.

Chickens don't have the same kind of feet, as you'll see with other birds. Their feet are not designed to grab and lock on to a tree branch, like the other birds can do. They are ground based birds, with big flat feet to walk around on said ground. IMO, and it's just my opinion, they are more comfortable with a wide roost board to sleep on, than grabbing and maintaining their balance on a tree branch. And it may help with keeping their feet warm, but that may be overstated.

6. Onebroodymomma

Onebroodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    I am by no means an expert, but I have heard a lot of using flat surfaces (like you have) so they can sit on their feet to keep them warm in the winter.

Although, I went to pick up some chickens the other day, and the guy had 3 turkeys and a few roosters perched up on the power lines above the coops. It was a funny sight.

7. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    So what? Well, I was afraid of bumblefoot! I thought their feet looked a bit larger than normal and started to read, then I started freaking out on cleaning my roosts hahah.

Hum! K, well.. I will let it be for now, clean as much as possible.. anyway it's winter and I don't feel like working on the coop to be truthfull :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by