My Rouens are so funny!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Triplell, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    [​IMG]I just got my 8 Rouens this morning, 2 drakes and 6 hens. I have heard that they are good foragers and go broody? What can I do to help them adjust to their new home. I got them from a hatchery that is closing down and selling their breeders. They were in a crowed pen mixed with geese and other ducks that were all for sale. They will now have 10 times the space than before and they only have to share it with my chickens. They were actually not really sure of the kiddie pool that I have for them. All eight climbed in and were splashing all around and I had to refill it 4 times before they were done bathing. These ducks have never been inside before and I was wanting to get them inside tonight but I had to put them in a much smaller pen for containment. Any ideas in getting them used to be inside? I do have 3 other mixed ducks and 5 babies that I will be using for my own freezer. I hope to keep them all separated at least for the summer. Any information would be wonderful !!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  2. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    We'll my 8 Rouens have now turned into 11. I just couldn't help it, I just had to get 3 more hens from the hatchery that is selling everything and going out of business. I just might go and get some geese from them too. I am only thinking of getting a gander and a goose. I thought that one could protect my ducks and the other could protect the chickens. We have many predators, fox, hawks, owls, eagles, raccoons, and many others. It would be a great expense to cover my pens as they are the size of most backyards. We live on 80 acres with many natural swamps. These poor ducks just can't get enough of their kiddy pool, we have to refill it about 4 times a day as it just gets so dirty and the ducks just love it. I don't think they have ever been able to swim instead of just getting their heads wet. [​IMG] Now I can't get any pics to come up on this post!!! Will keep trying!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    awwww!! How wonderful of you to take in these duckies and give them the life they actually deserved. They have to make up for a lot of lost time in the pool! LOL :) I'd love to see more pics if you are able to get them to come up!

4. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you, I am gonna try again. We are thinking of getting a couple of geese too. The only thing is we don't wanna get any that are mean.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  5. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    [​IMG][/VIDEO]

This was their first real bath !!!:weee They spend the whole day in it. We had to change the water like 5 times before they thought they were clean. My little mix breed ducklings that are in the same pen learned what the pool was for.:ya I havfe to down load more pictures tonite and will try to get those up too. Thanks for looking.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a wonderful thing you have done, they look like they are enjoying themselves, you may have to get another poolLOL, I don't know what kind of geese they have but I comend you on doing this, so many animals need good homes and these ducks and geese sure do. Congrats on your new flock!

7. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Thank you, I already have 2 Pekin X's and one Caugen plus 6 of their babies. I plan on eating the babies plus the 2 pekinsX's. We might have 80 acres but its my job to feed and water everyone. I have just expanded my chicken flock from 12 to 32 right now. I don't know how many roosters I have yet but time will tell. My dad kinda wants to keep the ducklings cause they are so cute. I will post some pics later today when I down load them. Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by