1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. matiportnoy

matiportnoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Hi!! I just got 6 new hens. They are young, since none of then have layed yet. My run is 4 ft x 8 ft. I am hoping that even though this is less than the recommended space, this will be enough for them, as I cannot afford to expand the run. My coop is 5 ft x 5 ft.
    I am only a bit concerned since I noticed they are pecking each other for random reasons. I only just got them yesterday and they came from separate, individual small cages. Is this normal? Will the size of my run be a problem?
    I also read i could keep them distracted to avoid pecking. Any suggestions are welcome :) thanks!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It will eventually be too small. How old are they?
    They're picking at each other now because they aren't friends yet. However, without sufficient space, that may become a habit that will continue.

3. matiportnoy

matiportnoy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    I dont know their exact age. All I know is that they are about a month away from laying. They look pretty grown up.

4. barneveldrerman

barneveldrerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably 5 months old I'm guessing. Like chickencanoe said it will eventually be a problem that they don't have a big enough run. Give them time to become friends and they should stor pecking.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by