My Runner Duck Eggs are hatching! NOW WHAT*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Jul 9, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I went out this morning to feed and make my setting runner get off of the nest. I found an egg outside of the crate that she was in and assumed one of the others laid it. (As they decide to drop them whereever they feel like). I picked it up and there was a crack and a tiny little beak MOVING. Somehow it slipped through the crate (metal not plastic). I opened the door and mom of course was mad but I picked her up and 3 more had little holes. NOW WHAT?????

I am thinking I will just let nature take its course but am a bit worried that the other ducks may try to reach in and grab a duckling.

Oh, should she remain on the nest (literally) while they hatch? She and I are both new to this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry to bump mine up but no replies and can't find answer online.
    I know it may take a while for the babies to get out of their shells but should she be sitting on them the entire time? I went out to check and when she stood a bit I saw one is a bit more out of the shell but she has not gotten off but once or twice.

Should I move her or leave her be?

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I posted this in hatching/incubating and had it moved here.

Well, apparently I was a bit paranoid. At about 530pm, the first baby was up and about. Looks like it will be white and blue. SOOOOOO excited.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's good to keep a close eye out. Sometimes even the mother duck becomes aggressive with the little ones - odd, sad things can happen - so do watch closely. I have read all kinds of happy and sad stories about this. You'll just have to see what happens, and intervene if necessary.

I pray everyone does the right thing.

5. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How are things lookin' there???

You okay?

Babies and momma okay?
    [​IMG]

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I have calmed down. 5 total this morning [​IMG] and at least 1 more with a hole/crack (pip?). Thats all I could get my hands on before mom came hissing at me and sat on my hand.

There are 7-8 more eggs though.

If she leaves the nest tomorrow, should I leave them, try to get one of my chickens to set (my silkie thinks shes setting even without an egg) or try my hand at incubating without an incubator?

Now that I've asked my question, here are the pics I could get. These could be from any of my females, blue, black or F&W and any of my males black, chocolate or F&W.

This is baby #1. Hatched (well seen) 530 pm yesterday. Looks blue and white to me.
    [​IMG]

Anther blue with a second blue butt sticking out under mom. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, from left to right black (maybe chocolate but still wet), blue, fawn??, blue and white #1 and blue. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Beautiful

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What a good momma duck. They are gorgeous babies- very pretty, Its nice to get an assortment of colours.

10. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Okay there are actually 9-10 eggs left.

I did not add that Blue started setting and my other females were laying there eggs in with her. So, most likely at least some are fertile but since I did not mark the actual set date and when I covered her so they could not get in, I don't know how much longer they have to go.

Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by