My Runners have stopped laying...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Niche Flock, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Niche Flock

Niche Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    So my beautiful runner ducks are turning into quite the little free-loaders. I have five runners and they are all just over a year now (except for one older gal, but she gets a free pass if she decides not to lay anymore, she has earned it!)

I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced issues with nest competition or some other reason why my normally prolific layers aren't laying.

Food is consistent: I have been feeding them the same kind, now in the evenings.
    I wonder if my friendlier calmer Cayugas, khakis and welshies are just gobbling more food and the excitable nervous runners aren't getting enough...leading to nonexistent egg laying
    Bedding material is the same, but I wonder if because if my 12 new ducks are hogging or becoming territorial of the nests. Here's the thing though, usually I find multiple eggs in each nest and sometimes there is one nesting site that is completely unused, so why wouldn't they opt to use that one?? (Unused nest changes occasionally)

Hoping these ladies step it up again, occasionally I find one green egg maybe every couple of days. Going to scour their free range area and see if they have a hidden nest where they are piling them. I wait until 10 am the latest to let them out hoping they laid already. Any help appreciated!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

It could be time of year also, mine have been molting and with light being less each day that can also play a part in egg laying, My Runners laid like crazy their first year never took a day off it looked like and then a few months ago they started laying less and less now between my 4 Runner females and 2 Buffs same age I may get 1-3 eggs a day so between molting and lack of day light I think they have be taking a good break.

Niche Flock and chickens really like this.
  3. Niche Flock

Niche Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Thank you! Tonight I experimented with a bit more food. My buff runner was just finishing up her molt a week or so ago so maybe that is it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

When they molt they don't lay and it usually takes as long as a month sometimes for them to start back.

Layers need a lot of feed to keep them healthy when laying my Runners eat a lot more than my Muscovy's .

5. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

^^ yes, about 4-6 weeks if given adequate food, environment and lighting. :)

Niche Flock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by