My runt fawn and white indian runner needs help and so do I!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by atower2, Jul 3, 2016.

1. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    This coming Monday all of my Ducklings will be 6 weeks old. I had ordered 8 ducklings and got 9 indian runners (1 came in as a runt).
    The runt we named Squirt has had breathing problems from the get go and has delayed development but he's been a trooper and has fought this long.
    Squirt has finally started to put on a little more weight but growth is still very small increments if at all and some of his feathers are coming in as well.
    I want to help him with his breathing but I don't believe it has even been anything he ate or was exposed to as I said he came this way and believe it's genetic or a physical deformity.
    Is there any ideas or possible treatments we can possibly try that will help him.
    he's standoffish and his flock is very protective of him and I don't want to cause undo stress on him taking him away from him family and catching him is a hardship on his breathing.
    He does climb up the steps to go swimming with his flock and loves swimming. He eats, drinks, sleeps and goes wherever his bros/sis' go.
    I don't want to lose him but am bound to make sure that he's happy as long as I have him.

Trying to get pics posted and a vid as soon as possible.

2. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]His brothers and sisters are very protective of him.
    [​IMG] These are also his brothers and sister (the blue Swedish I hatched 2 days before the indian runners arrived)
    In this video I am hoping you can see how he's breathing and that his bill is on the blue side. I cannot remove him as it stresses him out. All help and or advice is appreciated.

3. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Maybe some VetRX in their drinking water?

4. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    can I get that @ TSC?

5. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016

Yes

6. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Awesome will see if ours has some and thank you.
    He's in the pool eating minced collards right now with his flock. my husband made that pool for Squirt as he didn't like the smaller one this one he'll happily play in all day.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  7. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Was he healthy when he was born...?
    When did the breathing heavy start...?
    Check his nostrils to see if maybe food got caked up in there...

8. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    He came to me that way I think that's why they put an extra runner in because he was tiny then and had the breathing difficulty.
    I checked his nostrils to look for blockages as he does have a wheeze like it is blocked and did clean it out in case but it was clear at least that part is clean. then I thought maybe he actually has something caught farther back that I can't see. If you pick him up you can feel and hear that it's on the left lung side.

9. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    I wonder if its possible for food to have gotten into his lung...
    and if so, have no idea what to do about that except take them to the vet which would
    be very expensive...
    I wish I had kept it, but yesterday was reading about a chick this happen to and they
    took it to the vet....ran several tests, but couldn't find out what was wrong...
    now I don't think they did any x rays or anything.
    Might try a vaporizer with something that is good for breaking down mucus ...?
    Hopefully someone else comes along with more helpful hints to help you....

10. atower2

atower2 Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Would not mind trying the vaporizer method. I do know he's not contagious whatever it is it never affected the rest. Everyone else is happy and growing and if I pick him up to separate him all the other ducks come running and will go wherever I move him to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by