My runty silkie.... boy? girl? too early to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neVar, Jul 17, 2011.

1. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    Well see a comb. Pippa (please be a girl) is 7 weeks now. she was half the size of her sister 2 weeks ago (sister is no longer with us) these are my abandoned at pet store in the heat chicks)

so today we were cuddling and i got a good straight on shot- no wattles- but then hell we barely got feathers [​IMG] this bird was half bald a couple weeks ago

4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Today at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]
    such a homely little chicken LOL
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

lol silkies always go through that "homely odd duckling" stage. its too funny - the akward teenage stage.

I normally would say at 7 weeks its too early to tell, silkies typically it can take quite awhile. But if I had to hazard a guess witht he comb popping up and I see waddles developing already - I'm pretty sure you got a lil boy. BUT because its a beardless, I might be wrong! so don't hold me to it!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Looks like a lil roo to me. [​IMG] Could be wrong though, silkies are so hard to tell.

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Yep all the early signs are there that this one is a roo, he is adorable though! [​IMG]

5. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

He's a cute little cockerel. :)

6. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    SIGH 'm going to have the best Roo coop i love em all too much to get rid of them. though they might go to friend who s getting into some breeding. when your limited to 5 'ish' (OK 3 but with chicken math) 2-3 roo's sucks *sigh*

I guess pippa is gunna be PIper or something LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by