My Salmon Faverolle is not getting her feathers back...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by D'Angelo N Va., Nov 8, 2010.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Most of my chickens went through a terrible moat about a month ago...well one of my Salmon Faverolle hens is not getting her feathers back, her back is bare....it isn't that she is being thread upon by the roosters because she is seperate...what could be causing this???

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    are you giving her enough protein?????? chickens need protein while going though there molt. you can give her hard boiled eggs ( mash them up before feeding them to her) and cat food are high in protein

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks so much...it was just so odd that she is the only one not getting her feathers back.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i had a different breed that i noticed this summer started loosing her feathers in a patch at the base of her tail. when i noticed she was going into her molt i brought her in the house and gave her a long bath to make sure any bugs where off her before putting her in a pen by herself. after a week i noticed that this patch started showing signs of scabbing and bleeding! she had been plucking her own feathers! and then she started mutilating herself where any new feathers were trying to grow back in!

i had a few hen saddles from last year and i put one on her, a few weeks later all feathers have grown back and she stopped picking at herself! she still has a tendency to pluck feathers from other birds i've noticed but she is my best layer and i just can't part with her! a few of my favs lost their beards and i think she was the one that did it.

i do recommend giving more protein-BOSS and eggs are good. if you can switch over to a higher protein feed like game bird crumbles with about 22% for a few weeks that should also help.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine seem to have a harder time as they get older, but some just take forever, no matter how high the protein and/or other supplements. I swear, my black Ameraucana, Gypsy, seems to molt three times a year and she looks like a bald headed vulture for months on end. Nothing is wrong with her diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by