1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Salmon Favorelle has been plucked!!!! Please help!! (GRAPHIC PIC'S)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by steffpeck, Jul 23, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    This is really my first "injury" with my chickens, it looks like he has been pecked at really bad!! They have basically plucked his whole tail region and underneath his wing.

I have brought him in the house and have washed him off and have him wrapped in a tall and I am holding him and he is sleeping right now. The wound is not deep like it looks in the pictures, it basically looks like his layer of skin had been removed.

Please tell me what to do!! I don't know what to do.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little Aiden holding Pierre....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    He might have to become a house chook. I would put some antibiotic ointment on him. Why do chickens do that to a roo?

3. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Keep his wound clean and keep him away from other chickens until fully healed. You can put him in the coup in a cage if needed to protect him from the others. You may need to use some antibiotic ointment on the wound to prevent infection. Once he is healed you can try to reintroduce him, but may want to figure out a different living arrangement for him and maybe another chicken for company.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Who or what attacked him?

Susan

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Some of my other chick had to of pecked at him. I currently have him in with about 20 other chicks ranging in age from 10-14 weeks. They have plenty of room inside the coop, plus a huge run outdoors. I have seen him and my sizzle roo jumping at each other lately, they are both the same age (10 weeks old) so maybe he started it and the others joined in???? I do have a Favorelle Pullet the same age, maybe I will put the 2 of them together so he is not lonely. They are always together.

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Keep him away from the others & don't worry so much about landing him any company. I had to keep my (much abused, near death) Turken chick isolated from the flock for a long time. We were able to reintroduce her, when she was all healed. She was healthy & sassy . Now, she will kick the patooty of anyone who messes with her. She will jump straight up in the air & down on their heads!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by