my sassy girls are lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by love2garden22, Jun 30, 2010.

1. love2garden22

love2garden22 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    My black sex link hens (twelve in all, born Feb last year, great layers) are off their feed and lethargic and not laying anymore (only three eggs today) I tried to mix up some mash, and some of them rallied to eat it but the others just layed around and watched me throw it out. Then this afternoon, they all went in to bed over an hour early! I have done nothing different in their usual routine so I can't imagine what's wrong. This has been going on for three days and I'm starting to get worried. Can the heat affect them like this? Maybe it's the mosquitos as they are very bad in the backyard right now. Can I spray them with 'Off' ?? When I picked up the one I call the golden girl tonight and felt around her crop, water started coming out of her nose and beek. I squeezed gently and about 1/2 cup in all came out, but then maybe this was normal and she just had drunk water before going to sleep for the night?? Please clue me in....thanks...

2. love2garden22

love2garden22 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Update:
    Golden Girl died, the next day another hen died. [​IMG]
    The remaining 10 are starting to come out of 'it'. They are walking and talking, and starting to follow me around the yard again, instead of just laying around and watching me. [​IMG]
    Whatever it was, I think it's run its course. [​IMG]
    I did give all of the hens bread soaked in oil and scrambled eggs, that seemed to help.
    I would like to know if anyone thinks mosquitos or maybe even spiders biting the girls are a problem?????
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by