My Scovie is Clucky again!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 30, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I thought it was too soon so I thought the duck eggs I was finding were Blue Swedes (which means they're not laying but I digress) but yesterday we caught Lady Duck (Elvis's girl) laying a seventh egg and then going psycho over it and sitting on the nest. I didn't think she'd lay and then suddenly go clucky, but she did and she hasn't bee off the nest yet (and she is sharing it with a quite upset Araucana who thought SHE was getting all the duck eggs). I guess I'll know if they're really Scovie or what when they hatch around day 30...or 35.

But! Lady Duck -just- had her first clutch! They're about a month old now and getting plump but the're not that old. I would've SWORN it took longer for a duck to go back to clucky. Even mama hen who thought Lady Duck's eggs were hers (Lady Duck has a habit of finding chickens to share her nest with) is still coo-ing a little over the 'lings, though I admit they're running around a lot now, and very quickly. One looks like it's going to grow up delicious.

So the must be Lady Duck's... or if not she's hatching out someone else's eggs... but still!! Very happy! I have 6 'lings now who are going to the freezer in two more months or so - and by then she'll have more for me as babies!

I heard Scovies were excellent mothers and excellent for producing meat for you in volume, but I didn't know they were THIS good!

2. Congratulations!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes muscovies to me are an all around duck to have [​IMG]

4. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    They're amazing! And once drakes stop being teenagers they finally calm down and stop... well.. doing what it is he's doing right now. [​IMG]

The drakes grow up nice and fat. I knew when daddy was waddling around all huge his babies were gonna be big too but I didn't realize they'd be THIS big and THIS prolific! He's quite the stud! I got him another duck as well so I'll have double - but I don't think 2 people can eat all that meat! If she keeps this up I'll have to eat two ducks a week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by