My Sebright doesnt have a rose comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by babsh, Nov 29, 2008.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    It's more like a single comb. What does this mean? It's a mutt? xbred? Or do sometimes their combs just come out 'wrong'?

Barb

2. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have one with a singel comb too. She is interesting. [​IMG]

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Roosters pure for rose comb have a problem with lowered fertility, especially if bred with many hens. Roosters with just one gene for rosecomb still can have a very good looking rosecomb, but have much higher/normal fertility than the rooster pure for rosecomb.

It's this little genetic quirk that helps the single comb gene float around in pretty much all rosecombed breeds. So far only the Wyandotte folks are much more open and informative about it.

It's not necessarily a matter of the bird being mixed, just the stock was not pure for the rosecomb, nothing more. (and it is not a bad thing either, unless trying to breed for pure exhibition stock- many exhibition stock breeders single pair their birds or mate a rooster with few hens, in that case a rooster having low fertility from being pure for rosecomb is not much of a problem- the rooster is breeding the same hens 'more often')

4. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:Thanks for the info. This is all new to me. : )

Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by