My second attempt at hatching - a little better, but still poor.......... (plus results PICS!! )

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 92Pony, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    My first attempt last month left me with less than stellar results - 30% success.

This time I had a 40% success rate (hatched 3-10/3-11). These are eggs straight from my hens (not shipped). I only had one quitter. One pipped, but didn't hatch (only a little dead beak left sticking out[​IMG]), and 4 simply didn't hatch.

I upped humidity a little for 1-18 (tried to keep it around 30-35%), and this time only went to 70% @ lockdown (went to 80% last time), I kept one vent on the bator open for oxygen the entire 21 days.

I just don't understand - the ones that didn't hatch my first time were fully formed. I suspect the same on this hatch (I didn't open them up this time 'round). My eggs that I'm incubating are rinsed (no soap) when they come inside (for some dumb reason, I didn't have the forethought that I would put them in the bator, and not to wash them off). Could that be causing me problems (I wouldn't think so, but I'm grasping here...)

Anyway, now for some of the good news; These guys are EE - BR crosses. I believe the two with black feet are from a BR and a "true" EE roo. The other two are from a rock and a roo that was an EE - something else cross..... so they're maybe 1/3 EE - lol.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wade

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I keep my humidity at about 50% to 55% at the beginning. During lock down The humidity is about 65% to 70%. Washing eggs can cause problems. I haven't done it but I have read many times that it washes away the protective coating on the egg. This allows bacteria to enter the egg and kill your chick.

3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    it could be any number of things, rooster might be getting up in age or an underlying illness, temps off ? i live in a fairly humid region so keep mine around 30 - 35 %. had 100% hatch last year. the year befor i had a rooster that was only three . they needed an outcross . he had an anurism and died suddenly.that whole year i only got a few to hatch and the ones that did, only a few really thrived..never knew he was ill..after getting this new rooster, it was like watching pop corn popping, one chick after another until all were out. it could be any number of things from feed to weather temps lower or higher than you thermometers read ect...

4. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    LOL! @ the popcorn reference! [​IMG]

My roo is only 2 or 3yrs old, so age hopefully isn't a factor. I am going to get some eggs from my brother and try them (different roo, different everything). I'll keep trying until I find something that works I guess.[​IMG]

I think I will add another thermometer and place them on the egg turner to get a hopefully more accurate temp reading. (Had a digital one standing along the side of the bator, beside the turning rack). I thought this would be foolproof! LOL!

Wade

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by