My second batch did not hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhinomeadows, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rhinomeadows

rhinomeadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Atoka, OK
    My first hatch with the incubator went great. 6 out of 8 hatched which is great for me. Anyway after the first batch I already had some more going to hatch the next week. But none of them hatched. My question is that I have heard some people say that you shouldn't let your eggs hatch in the same incubator where there are other eggs incubating. Is this true? Should I move the eggs that are ready to hatch? I could use any help anybody has? Thanks

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I have let eggs hatch in the same bator during staggered hatches. I notice very little if any difference in hatch rate. The key is to not let the hatchlings play kickball with the other eggs. I usually leave my autoturner off the last 2 days in the upright position.

Some people swear by a separate hatcher, but i do not. I guess it depends on what kind of incubator you have and how it is setup.

3. rhinomeadows

rhinomeadows Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Atoka, OK
    I have a cabinet incubator so the chicks were in a different tray than the other eggs, so that wasnt the problem.

I know one problem is that the second batch of eggs had alot of eggs from a group of chickens with only 1 rooster for 25 hens and I didnt think they would all be fertile but I really thought some would hatch

4. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    If they are past hatching age you can look and see what happened. If they stopped developing about the time you had your first hatch it could be related. If they are all clear you have rooster issues. if they made it to the end then did not pip its something else again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by