My second try

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SanAntoneChicken, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SanAntoneChicken

SanAntoneChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Well I'm trying my incubator out for a second time, my last incubation ended poorly. I set 18 eggs a week ago Monday, and I'm happy to say it is running along smoothly. After having temp problems last time, I installed a computer fan and things seem to be a bit more stable. I candled all my eggs today, 12 of them were veiny and had little embryos. The twelve fertile are from my easter egger, the 6 infertile are from one of my barred rocks, I guess Boss doesn't like her (Boss is my SLW roo). I will post pics when I candle again at the end of the week.

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Hope you get a good hatch the second time around. My first hatch I got 3 out of 15 and I will be trying again soon.

3. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Well I have candled a few times since I started this thread, and it appears that all 12 eggs left in the bator are developing. Monday is hatch day, we will see what happens.

4. ellpel

ellpel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Goodluck . I also installed a comp fan in my lg. What village plug did you go with ? I have a 6.3 volt which is doing ok. Not sure of I should put it stronger with a 12 volt cord. All areas in incubator are even except the right corner which is about 2 degrees higher. What about yours?

5. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    I am using an old cell phone charger to power my computer fan, I believe it is 9 volt but I would have to check to be sure. My temp seems to be consistent throughout. When I first installed the computer fan I had a problem with the temps being too high. With the thermostat turned all the way down I was still at a temperature of 106 degrees. I played with it for a few days and got it to come down.

Here are some pictures of the happy parents to the eggs in the bator. Any Ideas of what the babies will look like?

The Momma "Lindsay Lohan" . Lindsay's mother was an Ameracauna and her father was an Silver Laced Wyandotte x Silver Laced Cochin.

[​IMG]

The Daddy "Boss" Silver Laced Wyandotte.

[​IMG]

6. ellpel

ellpel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    I'm using a 6.3 volt but still getting temp variations . Think I'm gonna go to 12 volt plug to circulate more air.

7. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Well I just took my eggs out of the turner and have gone into lock down. I also added a jar with water, I didn't have an extra sponge so I wadded up a piece of paper towel hope this works as a wick to boost humidity.

8. Hi. I am new here on BYC, but not new to chicken keeping. New to the whole hatching thing. I used the Brinsea Mini Advance and got all nine eggs to hatch. I hand turned since really only 7 are meant to fit. I am definitely going to do it again. The hatched chicks are SO much healthier and robust than any chicks I've ever gotten shipped.

I chronicled the whole incubation process and hatch here: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/03/great-eggscape-my-first-hatch-ever.html

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Welcome to BYC! I hope you have better luck this time with the fan.There are so many factors that go into having a successful hatch it's a wonder any of them ever do! Looking forward to your photos!

[​IMG]

10. SanAntoneChicken

May 18, 2011
    Well 6 of my eggs pipped today. One ,adequately named turbo, has already emerged from the shell. Should I remove him him from the incubator? He is trying to walk around and disturbing all the other eggs. I will post some pics soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by