1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My seemly healthy chicken appears to have a part of her intestines protruding from her vent. It loo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexGirlsKickAss, Feb 23, 2014.

1. TexGirlsKickAss

TexGirlsKickAss New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. TexGirlsKickAss

TexGirlsKickAss New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Thank you I'll check it out

4. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    That happened to one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes. I put on a rubber glove lubricated with mineral oil and pushed it back in about an inch or two. I didn't have to separate her, medicate her or anything. She recovered 100% in a few days and is back to normal. Hers was out 3 times as far as that. I hope you're able to fix her back up!

5. TexGirlsKickAss

TexGirlsKickAss New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    I'm worried because there is an opening where the feces is coming out. I have no idea if this is literally a puncture in the lining or the natural opening where the poop or egg is supposed to come out. I'm concerned about infection and I can't get my hands on any antibiotics at the moment. I have her seperated now because I'm worried the other chickens may peck at it. Getting ready to push it back up inside. Any other advice???

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Look up some pictures of what their vent looks like,then you will know for sure or if you have other chickens look at their vents. All you need to do right now is get prolapse back inside,have you read link i sent?

Yes,keep her separate until you get prolapse back in and make sure it does not pop out again. If she is left with other birds,they will pick/peck at her and often intestines are pulled out which results in bird dying.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. TexGirlsKickAss

TexGirlsKickAss New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    A chicken expert locally recommended giving the chicken vegetable oil to drink, which I did, and squirting veg oil on the prolapse. I seperated her from the rest for the day, and by days end, the prolapse had gone back up. I still gave her a bath to clean up the poop and tried to blow her dry which took forever. Keeping an eye on her but she's eating normaly & hanging w the other chickens, pecking at them before they peck at her. Seems like she's ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by